Higher Technician in tailored costumes and costumes for shows
General competence of this diploma:
Making dressmaking products from own the products or from other designs, establishing, organizing and implementing
the processes in the field of tailoring, dressmaking and shows, attending to customer requirements to achieve viable
items with the required quality.
Duration: 2000 hours
Total ECTS credits: 120
Level of the diploma:
NATIONAL: Non-University Higher Education
INTERNATIONAL: Level 5 of the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED5).
Professional Modules an their respective learning outcomes [with ECTS credits]:
Fabric, Clothing and Leather (9 ECTS Credits)
- Identifies the materials used in industrial manufacturing products, determining their properties by conducting the appropriate tests and trials.
- Recognizes samples of materials and fabrics, selecting the test and the control procedures.
- Identifies fur and leather costume products, determining qualities, types and the treatments received.
- Selects treatments, sizes and finishings for materials and products, recognizing the modified properties or characteristics and the different qualities obtained.
- Identifies technical textiles and other specific materials, describing their characteristics and applications.
- Determines the maintenance and storage conditions of textile materials, fur and leathers, analyzing their influence on the characteristics of components and products.
Modelling and Pattern Techniques of Tailored Costumes (17 ECTS Credits)
- Develops measurements tables according to pattern and sizes types, analyzing anatomical points that characterize each type of garment.
- Develops basic patterns, either from direct measurements taking or from the adaptation of standard sizes, using hand or computer drawing tools.
- Obtains the definitive patterns for the model realization l, applying transformation techniques and assembly patterns by hand, checking the technical and artistic design instructions through cloth try on mannequins or virtual support.
- Obtains the final patterns for the realization of models using modeling techniques on mannequin or virtual support and adjusting the toile to anatomical reference lines depending on the design.
- Develops costume catalogues to present collections using hand and computer tools, managing models files with different versions developed.
Tailored Costumes Resources (6 ECTS Credits)
- Determines the material and the equipment needs for tailored or show costumes manufacture, identifying the types and determining the amount of necessary materials and the features of the equipment.
- Defines the provision and the storage of material and information resources in order to develop tailoring projects, applying basic logistics techniques using computer and conventional tools.
- Programmes the necessary steps for the development on tailored and show costumes, including quality management actions, identifying and quantifying materials, equipment and professionals that must be involved in its development.
- Develops budgets for shows and tailored costumes projects, applying market prices and taking into account the human and material resources as well as the time available.
- Defines the tailored or show costume project, applying counseling and customer service techniques.
- Serves claims, complaints or suggestions of potential customers, recognizing and applying performance criteria and procedures.
Costumes for Shows (9 ECTS Credits)
- Determines the style and genre requirements in artistic projects, analyzing the technical and the production needs.
- Develops different project garments and objects in fashion sketches, using the most appropriate techniques for performance and adaptation.
- Tries on the costumes on the mannequin or by using a virtual support, making the adjustment of the garment elements, the corrections marking and the verification of the required volumes.
- Develops the costumes’ notebook according to the sketches requirements, analyzing the artistic and the technical features derived from the interpretation of the sketch.
- Transforms differentmaterials for its use in show costumes, using manual processing techniques.
Classic Tailoring (11 ECTS Credits)
- Develops the model technical documentation within the tailoring field, identifying and characterizing the garments, their nature, their shape and their features.
- Obtains model patterns, applying sizing transformationsto basic patterns.
- Obtains the garment for the try on, applying techniques assembly by hand, making the necessary intermediate operations.
- Tries on the garments either on the person or on mannequin, analyzing the garment balance, taking into account the general considerations on how it hangs and its effects.
- Makes the final garment, with the corrections and adjustments made during the try on, applying disassembly, assembly and tune techniques.
- Displays the garment, executing the finishing, labelling and presentation processes, specific to tailoring.
Dress Fashion and Trends (5 ECTS Credits)
- Identifies the different garments and accessories composing clothesthroughout history, analyzing materials, shapes and proportions regarding the human body and the context in which they were used.
- Identifies the different garments and accessories that make up the set dressing throughout history, analyzing materials, designs and the context in which they were used.
- Describes the evolution throughout the history of the productive sector of fabric, clothing and leather, analyzing the implications the tailor profession has led to.
- Identifies fashion trends, assessing the relevant information relating to the target population sector and the season considered.
- Updates the technical information on the garments and accessories, identifying the information sources and selecting the significant contents.
Tailored Costume Design (10 ECTS Credits)
- Interprets fashion trends, establishing technical and aesthetic criteria for the design for costume and show design.
- Selects innovative materials, improving the existing designs and optimizing products or processes.
- erforms technical designs, using colour charts and swatches of textiles and other materials.
- Designs sketches using computer programmes and traditional procedures, in great detail adjusting the virtual effect to the maximum.
- Determines the suitablemanufacturing processes for garments making, analyzing their economic feasibility.
Tailored Costume Making (17 ECTS Credits)
- Performs seam joints in different materials, applying manual and machine techniques of sewing and gluing.
- Obtains the model parts, applying extending, marking and cutting techniques.
- Tries on the garments on the mannequin, adjusting it to the body reference lines depending on the design.
- Makes the final model with the corrections and adjustments made during the try on, applying disassembly, assembly and tune techniques.
- Displays the garment, executing the processes of finishing, labelling and presentation specific to tailoring.
Tailored and Shows Costumes Project (5 ECTS Credits)
- Identifies the needs of the production sector, relating them to the relevant projects that may satisfy them.
- Designs projects related to the competences described in the diploma, including and developing their constituting stages.
- Plans the project implementation, determining the intervention plan and the associated documentation.
- Defines the procedures for the monitoring and the control of the project implementation, justifying the selection of the variables and the instruments used.
Professional Training and Guidance (5 ECTS Credits)
- Selects job opportunities, identifying the different labour integration possibilities, and the alternatives of lifelong learning.
- Applies teamwork strategies, assessing their effectiveness and efficiency on the achievement of the company’s goals.
- Exercises the rights and complies with the duties derived from labour relationships, recognising them in the different job contracts.
- Determines the protective action of the Spanish Health Service in view of the different covered eventualities, identifying the different types of assistance.
- Assesses risks derived from his/her activity, analysing job conditions and the risk factors present in his/her labour setting.
- Participates in the development of risk prevention plans for a small enterprise, identifying the responsibilities of all agents involved.
- Applies protection and prevention measures, analysing the risk situations in the labour setting of the Higher Technician in tailored costume and costumes for shows.
Business and Entrepreneurial Initiative (6 ECTS Credits)
- Recognizes the skills related to the entrepreneurial initiative, analyzing the requirements derived from the
different job positions and business activities.
- Defines the opportunity of creating a small enterprise, assessing the impact on the sphere of action and
incorporating ethic values.
- Carries out the activities for the setting-up and the implementation of a company, choosing the legal structure
and identifying the associated legal obligations.
- Carries out the basic administrative and financial management activities of an SME, identifying the main
accounting and tax obligations and filling in documentation.
Work Placement (22 ECTS Credits)
- Identifies the structure and the organization of a company relating both to the different types of services delivered.
- Applies ethical and work habits in the development of his/her professional activity, according to the job characteristics and the procedures established by the company.
- Performs preparation operations of the work activity, applying techniques and procedures in accordance with established guidelines and standards.
- Develops the activities under the work plan, relating established rules and instructions with the application of procedures and techniques specific to the activities to be developed.
- Complies with the rules on health and safety, acting according to sanitary rules, labour risk prevention and environmental protection.
- Analyzes the product made, relating it to quality criteria assumed or established in the sector.
The Higher Technician in Tailored Costumes and Costumes for Shows works in the sector of production of tailored
costumes and costumes for all events, in small and medium companies either as an employee or self-employed, and in
large companies as an employee, developing functions of development, mainly, and of design and resources
The most relevant occupations or jobs are the following:
- Patternmaker-pattern Designer of garments
- Taylor of Costumes
- Taylor of Costumes for shows
Holding the Certificate in Post-Compulsory Secondary Education (Bachillerato) or holding the
corresponding access test.
Access to next level of education/training:
This diploma provides access to university studies.