Higher Technician in Patternmaking and Fashion
General competence of this diploma:
Preparing patterns and sizes sets adjusted to the design of the item components and organising and managing the processes of production technically, within the area of industrial dressmaking, acting in accordance with the rules of good practice, as well as labour and environmental safety.
Duration: 2000 hours
Total ECTS credits: 120
Level of the diploma:
NATIONAL: Non-University Higher Education
INTERNATIONAL: Level 5 of the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED5).
Professional Modules an their respective learning outcomes [with ECTS credits]:
Textile, Dressmaking and Leather Materials (9 ECTS Credits)
- Identifies the materials used in industrial dressmaking products determining their properties through appropriate tests.
- Recognises samples of textile materials and products, selecting the established test and control procedures.
- Identifies leather and fur in dressmaking products, determining qualities, types and treatments received.
- Selects treatments, starching and finishing of materials and products, recognising the properties or characteristics being modified and the different qualities obtained.
- Identifies technical textiles and other specific materials describing their characteristics and applications.
- Determines the conditions of preservation and storage of textile materials, leather and fur, analysing their influence on the characteristics of components and products.
Dressmaking Techniques (12 ECTS Credits)
- Cuts textile and leather materials identifying control parameters and justifying the use of equipment and tools.
- Prepares machinery and equipment for the dressmaking process identifying control parameters and justifying the selected resources.
- Assembles textile and leather materials relating the information of the process with the operations for its performance and control.
- Carries out operations for the finishing of textile or leather items relating the information of the process with the operations for its performance and control.
- Prepares textile and leather items for their storage and dispatch, relating handling and identification protocols with labelling regulations.
Industrial Dressmaking Processes (9 ECTS Credits)
- Recognises flows of materials, products and information within the dressmaking, shoemaking and leatherworking industries, analysing the production processes.
- Determines processes of the textile and leather dressmaking industry, analysing the sequence and justifying the variables of the process.
- Determines processes of industrial shoemaking and leatherworking analysing the sequence and justifying the variables of the process.
- Identifies the elements of the textile, dressmaking and leatherworking machinery and facilities analysing how they work and the most significant work parameters.
- Distributes machinery and equipment within the plant, relating the production capacity and their placement with the manufacturing process.
- Determines production costs of industrial dressmaking, analysing manufacture alternatives and applying economic and environmental criteria.
Quality Management, Labour Risk Prevention and Environmental Protection (9 ECTS Credits)
- Defines actions to facilitate the implementation and maintenance of quality assurance systems interpreting their basic concepts and factors.
- Defines actions to facilitate the implementation and maintenance of business excellence models interpreting their basic concepts and factors.
- Defines actions to facilitate the implementation and maintenance of labour risk prevention interpreting their basic concepts and factors.
- Defines actions to facilitate the implementation and maintenance of environmental management systems interpreting their basic concepts and factors.
- Recognises the main point sources of pollution that can emerge from the activity of companies within the sector describing the effects of the pollution agents on the environment.
Organisation of the Industrial Dressmaking Production (6 ECTS Credits)
- Determines the supply of raw materials and components analysing production needs and identifying the necessary resources.
- Manages the receipt of raw materials, storage of components and dispatch of products, justifying means and procedures established for their handling and internal and external distribution.
- Prepares manufacture programmes justifying allocated resources in relation with the production capacity.
- Manages documentation for the production planning through the identification, organization and processing of relevant information.
- Manages the control of production relating the technique used with the methods that monitor the manufacturing process.
- Manages programmes for the maintenance of production facilities, analysing their influence on the reliability of production.
Fashion and trends (5 ECTS Credits)
- Justifies human reasoning to get dressed analysing his/her motivations.
- Identifies the characteristics of clothes throughout human history, relating them with the technological evolution, dressing style and «trends» at a specific time.
- Identifies the factors that have an influence on clothing evolution relating them with the technological progress and the concept of fashion throughout history.
- Prepares colour and texture «palettes» to be used in dressmaking, justifying their composition in relation to the aimed purpose.
- Designs clothes, justifying the chosen range of colours and the selected combination of textures.
- Identifies fashion trends, assessing relevant information in relation to the population sector it is addressed to and the season considered.
Textile and Leather Design Analysis (6 ECTS Credits)
- Establishes criteria for the design of textile and leather items, shoes and leatherware, relating them with functional, visual and technical characteristics.
- Justifies the feasibility of the product relating manufacture possibilities with adherence to design conditions.
- Identifies the components of textile and leather items, shoes and leatherware, applying representation conventionalisms and design programmes.
- Modifies the design of textile and leather items, shoes and leatherware, applying visual and functional criteria.
Prototypes Preparation (6 ECTS Credits)
- Defines the stages for the making of prototypes determining dressmaking operations and systems.
- Prepares prototypes verifying adherence to pattern designs in the dressmaking process.
- Defines criteria and procedures in order to assess prototypes preparing technical files of quality control.
- Verifies the quality control of prototypes carrying out the corresponding tests on mannequins or models.
Industrial Textile and Leather Patternmaking (15 ECTS Credits)
- Prepares measuring boards according to types of patterns and normalised sizes analysing the anatomical aspects that intervene.
- Prepares slopers through manual and computer tools.
- Transforms slopers applying formal and volumetric variations through manual and computer tools.
- Prepares models and collections modifying the prototype pattern design through manual and computer tools.
Industrialisation and Pattern Grading (15 ECTS Credits)
- Prepares pattern collections determining technical specifications for their industrialisation.
- Grades patterns applying size tables through conventional and computer tools.
- Groups industrialised patterns justifying criteria for their organisation.
- Distributes pattern parts applying positioning criteria in order to make the most of resources through conventional and computer tools.
Project on Patternmaking and Fashion (5 ECTS Credits)
- Identifies the needs of the production sector, relating them with the standard projects that may satisfy them.
- Designs projects related to the competences described in the diploma, including and developing their constituting stages.
- Plans the project implementation, determining the intervention plan and associated documentation.
- Defines the procedures for the monitoring and control of the project implementation, justifying the selection of variables and instruments used.
Professional Training and Guidance (5 ECTS Credits)
- Selects job opportunities, identifying the different possibilities of labour integration, and the alternatives of lifelong learning.
- Applies teamwork strategies, assessing their effectiveness and efficiency on the achievement of the company’s goals.
- Exercises rights and complies with the duties derived from labour relationships, recognising them in the different job contracts.
- Determines the protective action of the Spanish Health Service in view of the different covered eventualities, identifying the different types of assistance.
- Assesses risks derived from his/her activity, analysing job conditions and risk factors present in his/her labour setting.
- Participates in the development of a risk prevention plan in a small enterprise, identifying the responsibilities of all agents involved.
- Applies protection and prevention measures, analysing risk situations in the labour setting of the Higher Technician in Patternmaking and Fashion.
Business and Entrepreneurial Initiative (4 ECTS Credits)
- Recognises skills related to entrepreneurial initiative, analysing the requirements derived from job positions and business activities.
- Defines the opportunity of creating a small enterprise, assessing the impact on the performance setting and incorporating ethic values.
- Carries out the activities for the setting-up and implementation of a company, choosing the legal structure and identifying the associated legal obligations.
- Carries out basic administrative and financial management activities of an SME, identifying the main accounting and tax obligations and filling in documentation.
On the Job Training (22 ECTS Credits)
- Identifies the company’s structure and organization relating them to the production and marketing of the manufactured products.
- Applies labour and ethic habits in his/her professional activity according to the characteristics of the job position and the procedures established by the company.
- Determines industrial dressmaking processes establishing the sequence and variables of the process from the requirements of the product to be manufactured.
- Defines and prepares slopers, transformations and pattern collections adapted to the proposed designs.
- Prepares prototypes adapted to proposed designs.
- Verifies the characteristics of the manufactured products following the established instructions of the control plan.
The Higher Technician in Patternmaking and Fashion works in the sector of industrialised manufacture of textile and leather products, as well as shoes and leatherware, in small, medium and large enterprises, either as self-employed or employee, carrying out functions of production management and preparation of patterns for the dressmaking industrialisation.
The most relevant occupations or jobs are the following:
- Technical pattern designer with CAD/CAM
- Technical dressmaking designer with CAD/CAM
- Technician in dressmaking products development (R&D)
- Technician in product development
- Technical office manager
- Fur model maker-patternmaker
- Garments model maker-patternmaker
- Hats and caps model maker-patternmaker-size set maker
- Garments patternmaker-size set maker
- Industrial dressmaking technician
- Technician in leather and fur items manufacture
- Dressmaking quality control technician
- Technician in leather and fur industries quality control
- Organisation technician
- Dressmaking manager
- Quality manager
- Department manager
- Team leader
Holding the Certificate in Post-Compulsory Secondary Education (Bachillerato) or holding the corresponding access test.
Access to next level of education/training:
This diploma provides access to University studies.